Prepress and Premedia
TKM Publishing offers state-of-the-art conversion services for books, articles, journals, trade publications, and catalogues. Our clients save 60 – 90% in production costs and time compared to the traditional publishing models. Content can simultaneously be converted in different output channels: print PDF, online PDF, device-specific PDF, HTML5, EPUBs, etc., and with multiple language support. Prices start as low as €0.60 per page.
- Scientific and medical journals or books, legal documents,
- Product catalogues for B2B and B2C sectors (e.g. industrial catalogues, travel brochures),
- Catalogues with the same content in different languages,
- Encyclopaedias, compendia, manuals, instruction booklets, product data sheets, technical documentation, and other publications that are frequently updated,
- Corporate publications, such as brochures, training material, balance sheets, annual reports,
- Customised, localised, thematically profiled and other diversified publications,
- Time-critical web-to-print publications.
We offer .AWZ, mobi, Screen PDF, and others.
We digitize your content and advise on data storage solutions. Conversions are available from your legacy systems to XML, Word, Excel and/or into database.
We automate the catalog production, supporting your styles and layouts. We connent to your exhisting system or set up a custom solution.
Our prices are based on volume and type of document
- Low-complexity: € 0.89 0.60 / Page (minimum order 10000 pages / year)
- High complexity: € 1.99 1.20 / Page (minimum order 10000 pages / year)
Optional (upon request):
- Image processing
- Copy editing
We offer special discounts based on volume and type of publication. Please contact us and we will find the solution that works for you.
Outputs supported by me Tec:
PDF, XML (TEI, DocBook, Dom-Tree), HTML5 / CSS3, EPUB, Mobipocket (if necessary also other ebook formats).
What are the advantages of using TKM Conversion Services?
- an automatic publication process lightens the editorial and proofreading loads – you save time and money
- the styles are layout are defined by the customer, not based on standard templates
- measuring algorithms place and reposition text and other elements: a last-minute change at the beginning of the text won’t require any manual adjustments throughout the publication
- flexible content combinations for specific target groups offer you tailor-made (one-to-one publishing) and professionally designed solutions
- you can publish your content across multiple media at no extra cost, with media and device specific layouts (e.g. eBook format)
- your costs are reduced by 60-90% – your editorial and proofing team can focus on the content
- no variable costs (based on volume, complexity or channels)
- last-minute changes are easy to apply.
What is the process for fully automated production?
In automated production, as in conventional publishing, text, images and graphics form the basis of every publication. Source documents (e.g. Word documents) are automatically transformed into the XML required for the typesetting system. Intelligent design rules, technical layout and typographic specifications (styles, sizes and configuration) ensure that text and image data are automatically published across media in a single workflow. Rule implementation and specifications are managed according to the outcome of the software’s measurement algorithms. The software dynamically computes the fit of data of variable scope and structure into a defined layout. This creates pages which are practically error free. Information blocks are typeset according to rule-based placement, positioning and adaptation of simple complex objects. Media designers define the desired appearance and constraints of the publication in the configuration files:
- font size, font
- tracking, line spacing, line length and word spacing
- glyph scaling
- box width
- size of images, graphics, tables and diagrams
The typesetting algorithms calculate the parameter values with the precision required for successful data fitting according to the specifications and constraints defined by the media designer. At this stage, even micro-typographic measures can have a major effect. For text, this results in an increase or reduction in the number of lines whilst the content and number of characters does not change. For graphics, the dimensions are modified. Texts, images, tables, graphics and diagrams can be optimally positioned and placed on the page with the finest adjustments. Information blocks are automatically continuously measured, optimized and adapted according to the specifications.
Finally, the desired output formats are generated. This is usually done through a few iterations, as content and typographic corrections are at times necessary.
What data is needed for automatic production?
The documents to be typeset must be in a digital format. The source should have a structured format (Word, Excel, structured text file(s), XML, json, databases, CMS-data or data from editorial systems). If the format is not suitable, our Solutions Team can take care of the formatting.
Image data and graphics can either be integrated in the text or delivered separately. If the image is delivered separately, a reference to the image is required in the text. The images should be of the quality required for the output channel (DPI, colour profile, output intent and size), and can be in any format (jpg, tiff, gif, svg, eps or png).
How long does the publication process take?
The actual typesetting takes the least time. The accuracy of the specifications and the preliminary work are fundamental in the speed and efficiency of the system. Preparing data well significantly reduces the project duration.
A first project typically takes approximately 3 days. Subsequent publications of the same type have a turnaround time of a maximum of 4 hours, depending on the complexity and volume of data.
Other publications types with the same corporate design take a maximum of 1.5 days.
Your finished publication will usually be ready within a few days.
Which publication types are best suited to automated typesetting?
We effortlesly produce journals, reference books, loose-leaf publications, dictionaries, encyclopedias, manuals, directories, annual reports and catalogues. The software is particularly effective for publications with the following characteristics:
- large amounts of text
- high pagination
- large amounts of specific data
- multiple large and complex tables
- channel-specific outputs
- multiple language versions
- frequent new editions
- cross-column and formatted footnotes
- page by page and chapter by chapter footnote numbering
- switches from footnotes to endnotes (and vice versa)
- enumerated headings (especially using Roman numerals)
- optimal image placement
- directories: ToC (Table of Contents), LoF (List of Figures), LoT (List of Topics)
- indexes (personal, subject and multi-level)
- multiple formatted columns
If two or more of these criteria apply it means that TKM Publishing is a cost effective solution for your publications.